Thursday, January 1, 2015

Painting 42: Foo's Ho Ho Restaurant (Vancouver Chinatown)





Here is a painting I did last October 2014.  I painted on Pender St. in  Vancouver Chinatown, right across the street from a cool run down restaurant called Foo's Ho Ho Restaurant.  The area is starting to get gentrified but it still has some interesting people.  From local Chinese residents to homeless people to hipsters to working professionals to tourists.  A little bit of everything.  All types of people stopped by me while I was painting.  There were a few times where I felt a bit uncomfortable because of the reputation of the area.  But I was in a relatively busy street so it was fine.  Not too far from Pender St. is a street called Hastings St. which certain parts can feel a bit uneasyfor most people, but I tend to be fine.  I think I blend in with most crowds.  The highlight of painting this scene, was when this homeless guy came up to me and offered me money.  He said he noticed that I was here for awhile and that I should get a cup of tea because it was a bit cold.  I thought that was so nice.  I told him thank you but that he should give it to someone else who might need it more. I've had a lot of interesting characters pass by me to chat, but this one goes on the record! 

No comments:

Post a Comment