Monday, May 11, 2015

Painting 63: Cynthia's Home

Here was where I stayed in Moaning Cave in Calaveras County for two and a half weeks.  I initially planned to only stay for two nights and three days.  My main purpose for coming to Moaning Cave was to attend a  3 day painting workshop in Murphys with Kathleen Dunphy.  Murphys is about an 8 minute drive from where I was staying. 
I found this place in airbnb.  As soon as I met the owner, Cynthia, we hit it off.  She really welcomed me to her home. She was such a kind and sweet lady. I told her about my passion for painting, drawing, and traveling.  I told her that my dreams were to be a bohemian and paint and travel.  I showed her some of the paintings I did in the workshop.  Cynthia mentioned I should stay longer and paint different parts of Calaveras County.  Since I knew she liked my paintings, I  put it out there.  I told her that I could make a painting of her house for a trade of accommodation.  She instantly thought that was a great idea.  And that is what I did.
Using the new techniques that I learned from Kathleen's workshop, I started off with a few sketches for composition.  Then I did a wash of yellow cadmium pale for the underwash.  I sketched the drawing of the house from the chosen composition with cadmium red medium.  Then I started to paint the dark values.  Then mid values. Lastly light values. Then tweak and finesse. 
Since I wasn't rushing, I decided that I will work on this painting for 2-3 hrs a day for about 5 days. I decided to work on it little by little because I didn't want to chase the light and I was painting larger than usual.
I was pretty disciplined to wake up early and set up was relatively quick because all my equipment was where I was painting. I woke up about 6:30am.  Wrote a little in my journal.  Ate breakfast.  Brushed my teeth. Took a quick shower. Got dressed. Checked my email. Then put on my favorite podcasts, then I was ready to rock and roll.  I mean paint!  Same difference! 
I liked how this painting came out.  I really enjoyed the process because I wasn't rushing.  Since I left Vancouver, I felt that my paintings were rushed.  Mainly because I have been on the go. It's nice to stay in one place, explore the area, and take your time.  I was very fortunate to have this experience.  I consider Cynthia a really good friend now, and I'm hoping that I will return again in the future and paint more of Calaveras County!  I'm a bohemian and I paint and travel! Yes!

1 comment:

  1. You are always welcome my dear bohemian friend. You are an inspiration to me. Can't wait to tell you my journeys!

    ReplyDelete