Sunday, May 24, 2015

Sketching Highland Park Billiards

Here is a sketch I did a few days ago of Highland Park Billiards. I've been taking yoga classes in Namaste Highland Park for the past two weeks.  It's an awesome place to practice yoga!  On my walks to class, I enjoy observing the old architecture.  The billiards and cleaners building caught my eye.  I appreciated them more because I knew they were old businesses that were around  for a long time.  I also love looking at the subtle art deco details that were part of the original building.  There is so much cool architecture in L.A. if you take the time to pay attention to the details.  It's so easy to pass by and not notice the history of the architecture.  I guess that is the artist and matte painter in me that appreciates the small details.  Anywho,  In the past few years there have been drastic changes that have been going on in Highland Park.  Highland Park use to be the hood, now its a place full of trendy stores and hip restaurants.  But amongst all these changes there are still a handful of mom and pop shops that have been here for a very long time. You have the choice to pay $1.50 for a taco or $5 for a coffee.  It's interesting to see the old with the new. I'm hoping that the old will be able to survive these changes.  As I was sketching I met a few locals who were interested in what I was drawing.   I asked for their opinion about the changes in the neighborhood.  To my surprise, most of the people I talked to who lived in the area for 20+ years are happy with the changes.  I automatically assumed that there would be a bunch of angry locals.  As I continue to sketch in the area, I'm sure I will meet other views.

No comments:

Post a Comment